Monday, December 9, 2013

The Ballad Of the Shrimp and Grits Lady

The Ballad Of the Shrimp and Grits Lady


In the introduction I mentioned the story about the shrimp and grits lady and you’re probably wondering who is the shrimp and grits lady? Well it all started one pleasant afternoon on my way to downtown Sacramento for an appointment. When suddenly two elderly women in a New Orleans accent begin conversing about Southern cooking. It was immediately apparent that these women were generally not from around Sacramento or anywhere near California. I kid you not the conversation started with “Ooohie I love me some of them shrimp and grits, you know what sounds good right now? I’m bout to get me some shrimp and grits. I’m bout to add some more junk to that trunk with a nice big bowl of shrimp and grits.” Good thing my seatbelt was on because a cripple falling on the floor because he was laughing so hard probably wouldn’t have the desired ending. You can’t make up stories like these because nobody’s mind is that crazy. The sad thing is it was actually making me hungry for some shrimp and grits even though I’ve never even tried it. The 
nteresting things that can happen when riding public transportation is all I have to say.


The story gets even better when they talk about throwing a nice big chunk a ham hock into the bowl. The lady sitting next to her had a differing opinion when she said “forget the shrimp and grits just give me that ham hock. I’ll chew on that raw like a pack of bubble gum.” At this point I am thinking I want off this train before they really ruin my appetite. My mind is thinking “Run!!!!” But my legs were thinking don’t you dare even try. In case you don’t know me my body parts and I have many discussions and arguments. I think my win rate is about 50-50 when it comes to arguments of my body parts but I’ll save that little bit of information for another day. The ladies finally arrive at their destination after discussing how much they love shrimp and grits, how many bowls of shrimp and grits, and the fact that they were on their way to get some shrimp and grits!



I didn’t know people like these actually existed. Anybody hungry for shrimp and grits and ham hocks?

No comments:

Post a Comment